In Fall 2023, approximately 15 million undergraduate students will be enrolled in colleges and universities across the U.S. Those who choose to live in on-campus housing are expecting a Wi-Fi experience that enables them to succeed academically, stay connected with family, and relax and recharge.
Are you keeping next year’s student residential experience top of mind as the spring semester winds down?
Whether you’re a leader at a small liberal arts college located in a small town or a large public university in a busy urban area, now is the time to consider moving your residence hall Wi-Fi from an in-house model to a managed services model to meet Fall 2023 student expectations head-on.
But we understand that making the case for managed ResNet services can be difficult and internally sensitive. I want to take a moment to boil down the top reasons to consider making this move now, along with some of your peers’ feedback, so that you can ponder how we can partner to build a ResNet this summer that will wow your campus residents in the fall.
- Apogee experience and expertise. Apogee pioneered ResNet over 22 years ago and continues to be the industry leader. We currently serve over 1 million students at more than 350 campuses. Our customer satisfaction scores demonstrate our superior technology and service, and delivery on our promise that we wear your colors. In 2022, we achieved a 98 percent customer satisfaction rating, a 71 Net Promoter Score (NPS), and a 96 percent customer retention rate.
“We selected Apogee because their main focus is providing reliable and evolving technology to our residential students. This isn’t just a small part of their business like [it is] for some other providers. Apogee’s core business is students, and our core business is students – we both want them to succeed.”
– Rob Sewell, Director of Business Services, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Apogee Webinar
- Guaranteed speeds and bandwidth per student per device and Personal Area Networking (PAN). Apogee delivers 100 Mbps per device for up to 10 simultaneous devices and high-density Wi-Fi 6 deployment for a near 3:1 ratio of coverage to match student academic and entertainment demands and ensure student and parent satisfaction. Our Personal Area Network capability lets students connect all their devices so students can print wirelessly, connect wireless speakers, and use personal digital assistants for an at home-like experience.
“What I depend on most is the speed of the network since I enjoy online gaming from time to time. I think Apogee is great, and I hope that they will keep delivering higher standards of Wi-Fi services.”
– Christopher Wilson, student, Lenoir-Rhyne University, Apogee Case Study
- Easy-to-use student portal. Apogee delivers a mobile-optimized student portal with school branding for easy account creation, adding and managing devices, and accessing tech support. Single sign-on (SSO) allows students to get online with their university credentials, which means fewer passwords for students to remember and greater security since passwords are not stored in multiple systems.
“Our students were having trouble connecting their laptops, smartphones, printers, and other wireless devices quickly and effectively. If something wasn’t working properly, our students were very vocal about letting us know. Now, with Apogee ResNet, we are not hearing any complaints. Apogee is always there for us behind the scenes making sure everything is working flawlessly for all residents.”
– Phil Laube, Vice President of Finance and Operations and Treasurer, Muskingum University, Apogee Press Release
- Predictable funding model and SLAs. Our predictable and flexible OPEX 5- to 10-year funding model includes annual bandwidth increases, network refresh evaluations in year 4, ongoing preventative maintenance, and 24/7/365 support. We also provide guaranteed service levels throughout the life of the contract. No more CAPEX surprises or figuring out how to keep up with technology changes and student demands.
“I don’t have to worry about the wireless access points or connectivity because it’s all contractually provided through Apogee. Our Apogee representative keeps us ahead of the curve with updates. We’ve made amazing partnerships between our central IT help desk and the Apogee help desk, and they are basically interchangeable for our students.”
– Sarah Waters, Director of Student Housing, the University of Kansas, Apogee Webinar
- Fast, low-disruption installations. Apogee has a proven track record of delivering fast, low-disruption installations. From historical landmarks requiring special care to state-of-the-art smart buildings, a typical Apogee ResNet installation is completed in just two to four weeks with limited campus disruption.
“We contacted Apogee in June 2021, and the company delivered a comprehensive proposal tailored to our needs with an accelerated deployment timeline that aligned with the start of the SAU semester in August 2021. SAU could not have built and managed such a robust project in-house on such a constrained timeline, much less with classes already in session and residence halls already occupied. It was impressive to see Apogee act so swiftly, with our students top of mind every step of the way.”
– Farooq Agha, Chief Information Officer at Saint Augustine’s University, Apogee Press Release
- 24/7/365 student support. Apogee boasts a 24/7/365 U.S.-based call center that ensures that students always have a human, not a bot, to help them with any Apogee ResNet issues or questions. Students can call, email, or chat with a representative.
“I love ensuring that the students get connected. Our Apogee call center can resolve student Wi-Fi issues about 96 percent of the time. For the other 4 percent of Wi-Fi problems that the students encounter, our Field Service Representatives address their needs quickly by supporting them remotely or on site.”
– Mona Mattson, Apogee Client Services Manager
- Superb client stewardship. Apogee assigns a dedicated client service manager (CSM) with every ResNet partnership. CSMs conduct monthly stewardship calls with campus housing and IT leaders to provide insights into student Wi-Fi usage, patterns, number of connected devices, and support tickets, while also proactively helping campuses think through upcoming strategic projects.
CSMs also provide student move-in support and onboarding support each semester. From residence hall posters, emails, ”Get Connected” guides, and social media templates, we help ensure that students get online smoothly.
“The service levels that are in place now would have been impossible to match. With Apogee as our partner, we get monthly transparency though a comprehensive report that provides specifics on data usage, network reliability, support tickets, and other criteria. We can now rely on Apogee’s 24/7/365 support team, including a local field technician, for assistance with the students in residence halls, while we focus our time and energy on the academic buildings.”
– Dr. Karen King, Chief Information Officer, East Tennessee State University, Apogee Press Release
We know you want to take exceptional care of your students, and we’re here to help deliver an exceptional ResNet experience before, during, and after they return to campus in August. To speak with a higher ed and ResNet specialist today, please fill out this short form and we’ll reach out within 24 hours.